Honduras is one of the world's great dive destinations. The world's second-largest barrier reef runs along the Bay Islands and the Caribbean coast.
The Bay Islands, just 48km (30 miles) off the coast, are renowned as one of the cheapest diving destinations in the world, at less than L760 per dive on Roatán and even less on Utila and Guanaja. Almost every hotel on the Bay Island has its own dive master or gets special rates with a preferred dive center. Most will offer a range of courses, from basic certifications to master and instructor development courses. Nitrox is widely available, and world-class recompression chambers can be found on both Utila and Roatán. Diving is more or less concentrated here, but a few other locations, such as Omoa and the Cayos Cochinos, also have excellent diving and can arrange certification courses.
- Anthony's Key Resort: tel. 954/929-0090; www.anthonyskey.com
- Bananarama Dive Resort: tel. 504/2445-5005; www.bananaramadive.com
- Coconut Tree Divers: tel. 504/2445-4081; www.coconuttreedivers.com
- Coco View Resort: tel. 504/2911-7371; www.cocoviewresort.com
- Fantasy Island Resort: tel. 504/2455-7499; www.fantasyislandresort.com
- Native Sons: tel. 504/2445-4003; www.nativesonsroatan.com
- Octopus Dive School: tel. 504/2403-8071; www.roatan-octopusdiveschool.com
- Reef Gliders: tel. 504/2403-8243; www.reefgliders.com
- Sueno del Mar Dive Center: tel. 800/298-9009 in the U.S.; www.suenodelmar.com
- Roatán Shark Dive: tel. 504/445-1283; www.sharkdiveroatan.com
Nautilus: tel. 952/953-4124; www.usdivetravel.com
- Alton's Dive Center: tel. 504/2425-3704; www.diveinutila.com
- Bay Islands College of Diving: tel. 504/2425-3291; www.dive-utila.com
- Captain Morgan's Dive Shop: tel. 504/2425-3349; www.divingutila.com
- Deep Blue Divers: tel. 504/2425-3211; www.deepblueutila.com
- Utila Dive Center: tel. 504/2425-3350; www.utiladivecenter.com
- Utila Water Sports: tel. 504/2425-3264; www.utilawatersports.com
- Utopia Dive Village: tel. 504/3344-9387; www.utopiadivevillage.com
- Plantation Beach Resort: tel. 504/3371-7556; www.plantationbeachresort.com
Foreign-based Dive Operators
Maduro Dive (tel. 800/327-6709; www.madurodive.com), a Miami-based dive specialty operator, runs dive packages to the Bay Islands and other exotic destinations around the world. Uncommon Adventures (tel. 800/390-9675; www.uncommonadventures.com) has a range of dive tours and kayaking trips, mostly based on the Bay Islands.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.