Mention Hong Kong and most people think of Hong Kong Island's Central District, Victoria Peak, the shops and neon of Tsim Sha Tsui, and the Star Ferry crossing Victoria Harbour. What they don't realize is that Hong Kong Island and Kowloon total only 10% of the entire territory -- the New Territories and the outlying islands make up the other whopping 90%.

If you have a day or two to spare, or even just an afternoon, I suggest you spend it in one of the SAR's rural areas. Escape the bustle and chaos of the city in one of the region's small villages or on a hiking trail in the countryside or on the islands, and you'll have the chance to glimpse an older, slower way of life, where traditions still reign supreme and where life follows a rhythm all its own.

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.