- Aloha Sunrise Cottage/Aloha Sunset Cottage (tel. 888/828-1008): Hidden on the North Shore, these two unique cottages nestle on a quiet 7-acre farm. They come fully furnished with all the great videos you've been meaning to watch and an excellent CD library. The cottages are close to activities, restaurants, and shopping, yet isolated enough to offer the peace and quiet of Old Hawaii. Rates start at $150.
- Garden Isle Cottages Oceanfront (tel. 800/742-6711): The site is spectacular: a 13-foot cliff overlooking historic Koloa Landing and an ocean inlet (where you can see turtles swimming). Nestled in a tropical garden setting, these one-bedroom apartments have an island feel, with rattan furniture, batiks, and original art on the walls -- and great views. This is a quiet, peaceful place to stay in the heart of the Poipu area, within walking distance of beaches, golfing, tennis, shopping, and restaurants. Rates start at $179.
- Hanalei Surf Board House (tel. 808/826-9825): If you are looking for a moderately priced ($225 a night), adorable studio just a block from the beach in Hanalei, get on the phone and book this right now. If you have a great sense of humor and enjoy whimsical little touches in the decor, you will love this place.
- Hideaway Cove Poipu Beach (tel. 866/849-2426): Just a block from the beach and next door to an excellent restaurant are these gorgeous condominiums in a plantation setting. Amenities are top-drawer, and no expense was spared in the decor. Living areas are spacious, kitchens come with the best appliances and granite countertops, and the outdoor lanais are big. You get all of this in a lush, landscaped tropical jungle at an affordable price (from $190 a night).
- Kauai Banyan Inn (tel. 888/786-3855): Off the beaten path, but still just a 10-minute drive to the beach, this four-unit inn has the amenities of a much more expensive property (kitchenette, views, in-room massage) at budget prices (from $130).
- Kauai Country Inn (tel. 808/821-0207): Fabulous location (nestled in the rolling hills behind Kapaa), terrific prices (from $129 a night), wonderful accommodations (big suites, hardwood floors, kitchen or kitchenette, your own private computer, comfy beds, and great views), and friendly hosts make this a "must-book" place.
- Wailua Bay View (tel. 800/882-9007): Located right on the ocean, these spacious one-bedroom apartments offer excellent value. The bedrooms are roomy, and the sofa bed in the living room allows you to sleep up to four. On-site facilities include a pool and barbecue area. Restaurants, bars, shopping, golfing, and tennis are nearby. A deal, starting from $163 a night.
- Waimea Plantation Cottages (tel. 866/774-2924): This beachfront vacation retreat is like no other in the islands: Among groves of towering coco palms sit clusters of restored sugar-plantation cottages, dating from the 1880s to the 1930s and bearing the names of their original plantation-worker dwellers. The lovely cottages have been transformed into cozy, comfortable guest units with period rattan and wicker furniture and fabrics from the 1930s, sugar's heyday on Kauai. Each has a furnished lanai and a fully equipped modern kitchen and bathroom; some units are oceanfront. Facilities include an oceanfront pool, tennis courts, and laundry. The seclusion of the village makes it a nice place for kids to wander and explore, away from traffic. Prices start at $238 a night.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.