Established in 1927 at the bequest of its founder, James Ward Usher (one of the city's prominent jewelers), the gallery is a repository for paintings and an impressive collection of antique clocks, 20th-century ceramics, and artifacts and literary mementos, plus portraits of Lincolnshire-born Alfred Lord Tennyson. Most impressive are the collection of 16th- to 19th-century miniatures and an exhibition of 17th-century Dutch and Italian paintings. Our favorites are the works of Peter de Wint (1784-1849), including his moving depiction of Lincoln Cathedral.