In this section, best doesn't necessarily mean most luxurious. Although some of the restaurants listed here are fancy affairs, others are simple places to get fine, authentic Mexican cuisine.
- Mi Cocina (San José del Cabo): Is it the creative menu, the captivating garden setting, or the hibiscus-infused martinis? Whatever the reason, Mi Cocina, at Casa Natalia, is one of the best dining experiences in Los Cabos.
- Café Santa Fe (Todos Santos): Excellent northern Italian cuisine prepared in the exhibition kitchen of this gracious cafe has drawn people to Todos Santos over the past decade. Enjoying lunch here in the flower-filled courtyard is a particularly wonderful way to pass an afternoon.
- Ristorante Tre Galline (Todos Santos; tel. 612/145-0274): The most authentic Northern Italian country cooking anywhere will have you seeing stars. Handmade everything from pasta to bresaola and cheeses imported from Italy are as old-world as it comes.
- Napoli Pizzeria (Pescadero): This ordinary-looking roadside taco shack isn't a taco shack at all — it's a wood-oven pizzeria, serving Baja's best crispy, Italian-style pizza.
- La Picazón (Loreto): Between the cacti and the sea at the end of a half-hour of dirt-road driving is this beachside gem, Loreto's favorite place to watch the sun go down over a plate of fresh-caught fish. Bring your boat and make a day of it.
- Mision 19 (Tijuana): One of the most important and exciting restaurants in Mexico is just a stone's throw from the border, taking advantage of markets and growers from San Diego to the Valle de Guadalupe for its inventive locavore menus and top-notch cocktails.
- Manzanilla (Ensenada): Arguably the leader of the Baja Med culinary revolution, bad-boy chef Benito Molina breaks the rules every day. His flagship is one of Mexico's very best, where local meets creative meets out of this world.
- Laja (Valle de Guadalupe): This lovely adobe-and-stone sustainable gourmet restaurant has become a reason in and of itself to visit Mexico's wine country. A daily fixed menu of four to eight courses draws daily crowds, and consistently wins accolades.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.