White Barn Inn (Kennebunk; www.whitebarninn.com; tel. 207/967-2321): This venerable inn has been world-class longer than most people reading this book have been alive. Sumptuous but not overwrought, country but not folksy, one of the best dining rooms around, and service for miles.
The Press Hotel (Portland; www.presshotel.com; tel. 207/808-8800): Rarely do luxurious, historical, and fun all come together in one property, but this downtown hotel in the former Portland Press Herald headquarters really nails it. With clever nods to the golden days of newsprint (and great art around every corner), this place just has so much style.
Lincolnville Motel (Lincolnville; www.lincolnvillemotel.com; tel. 207/236-3195). A throwback to the midcentury golden days of Maine tourism—and to the values that road-tripping families could expect back then. Super reasonable rates for a self-consciously stylish vintage motor court. We can't think of any other lodging in the state that offers a vinyl turntable and a stack of LPs as standard amenities.
Balance Rock Inn (Bar Harbor; www.balancerockinn.com; tel. 800/753-0494 or 207/288-2610): The property’s pale blue outdoor swimming pool backs right up to the Atlantic, and the rooms are as elegant and comfortable as any in the state. You won’t feel so cared for by a hotel staff anywhere else on Mount Desert Island.
Things to Do
- The Best Mid-Range Hotels
- The Best Authentic Experiences
- The Best Small Towns and Villages
- The Best Places to See Fall Foliage
- The Best Active Vacations
- The Most Intriguing Historic Homes
- The Best Destinations for Serious Shoppers
- The Best Ways to View Coastal Scenery
- The Best Inns and Bed & Breakfasts
- Best Hotel Bets
- The Best Destinations for Families
- The Best Places to Rediscover America's Past
- The Best Outdoor Pursuits
- Best Dining Bets
- The Best Alternative Accommodations
- Planning a Trip
- Active Pursuits
- Suggested Itineraries
- In Depth
- Side Trips