Built in 1738, the church was enlarged twice -- once in 1772, by adding an extension, and later in 1920, with a tower to commemorate the reunification of southern Jutland with Denmark. Seven votive ships inside indicate the growth of shipping in the town from the 18th to the 20th century, and Marstal's close links to the sea. The font dates from the Middle Ages, and the blue color of the benches symbolizes the sea and eternity, whereas the red colors of the altar and pulpit evoke the blood shed by Christ. Red is also the color of love. Carl Rasmussen, a maritime artist who usually specialized in the motifs of Greenland, painted the 1881 altarpiece, depicting Christ stilling a storm. In the old churchyard are memorials and tombstones honoring the sailors of Marstal who died at sea during two world wars.