In summer 2019, this museum reopened in its new home, in the historic 1895 Vineyard Haven Marine Hospital, overlooking the harbor and Lagoon Pond. The museum tells the story of this multi-faceted island with rotating themed exhibits, while preserving significant artifacts of its history, from arrowheads to whaling-ship logs to vintage tourism souvenirs. Oral history projects feature portrait photos of old time Vineyarders and quotes from them about how life used to be, and a special exhibit displays the 1,000-prism Fresnel lens of the Gay Head Lighthouse (Aquinnah’s former name), which aided mariners from 1854 to 1951. The public will also have access to the island’s archive of source material from the 17th to the 21st century. The museum will continue to have exhibits at the Cooke House in Edgartown as well.
- Frommer's Staff