The Best Affordable Dining
- Sabatino's Italian Restaurant (Baltimore, Md.; tel. 410/727-9414): Good food at reasonable prices is the norm at most of Little Italy's restaurants. But Sabatino's also offers cozy dining rooms, an attentive waitstaff, and dinner served late into the night.
- Gertrude's (Baltimore, Md.; tel. 410/889-3399): This restaurant in the Baltimore Museum of Art goes perfectly with a trip to view the exhibits or as a destination in itself. Gertrude's (as in Gertrude Stein) boasts artfully prepared food and outdoor dining (in season) with beautiful views.
- Celsius (Rehoboth, Md.; tel. 302/227-5767): Fill your pockets with cash and come early for Mediterranean-inspired seafood and Asian dishes. Prix-fixe menus and early bird specials make this lovely spot at the beach a good value.
- Harpoon Hanna's (Fenwick Island, Del.; tel. 800/227-0525): The food is good; the fresh breads and muffins are outstanding. For a beach restaurant, this one is worth the trip. Set on a canal, its big windows let the sunset in. The fish is fresh, the staff hardworking, and children are always welcome. Come early or be prepared for a substantial wait.
- Mountain State Brewing Company (McHenry, Md.; tel. 301/387-3360): Pizza from a wood-fire oven and locally produced brews, all in a relaxed atmosphere with mountain views.