- Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono (tel. 800/305-4899 or 808/244-5897; www.mauiinn.com): Located in historic Wailuku, the most charming town in central Maui, this restored 1924 former plantation manager's home is the place to stay if you're looking for a night in the old Hawaii of the 1920s. The guest rooms are spacious, with exotic ohia-wood floors and traditional Hawaiian quilts. The morning meal is a full gourmet breakfast served on the enclosed back lanai or on a tray delivered to your room if you prefer. Rates start at $165.
- Maui Guest House (tel. 800/621-8942 or 808/661-8085; www.mauiguesthouse.com): This is one of the great bed-and-breakfast deals in Lahaina: a charming inn offering more amenities than the expensive Kaanapali hotels just down the road. The spacious home features floor-to-ceiling windows, parquet floors, and a large swimming pool. Guest rooms have quiet lanai and romantic Jacuzzis. Breakfasts are a gourmet affair. All units are $169 double.
- Nona Lani Cottages (tel. 800/733-2688 or 808/879-2497; www.nonalanicottages.com): Picture this: a grassy expanse dotted with eight cottages tucked among palm, fruit, and sweet-smelling flower trees, right across the street from a white-sand beach. This is one of the great hidden deals in Kihei. The cottages are tiny but contain everything you'll need. At $95 a night, this is a deal.
- Pineapple Inn Maui (tel. 877/212-MAUI  or 808/298-4403; www.pineappleinnmaui.com): This charming inn (only four rooms, plus a darling two-bedroom cottage) is not only an exquisite find, but also a terrific value (rates start at $139 a night). Located in the residential Maui Meadows area, with panoramic ocean views, this two-story inn features a giant saltwater pool and Jacuzzi overlooking the ocean. Each of the soundproof rooms is expertly decorated with a small kitchenette, comfy bed, free wireless Internet access, TV/VCR, and an incredible view off your own private lanai.
- Two Mermaids on Maui B&B (tel. 800/598-9550 or 808/874-8687; www.twomermaids.com): Two avid scuba divers are the hosts at this very friendly Kihei B&B, professionally decorated in brilliant, tropical colors, complete with hand-painted art of the island (above and below the water) in a quiet neighborhood just a short 10-minute walk from the beach. Comfy rooms start at $115, including breakfast.
- What a Wonderful World B&B (tel. 800/943-5804 or 808/879-9103; www.amauibedandbreakfast.com): Another one of Kihei's best B&Bs offers a great central location in town -- just 1/2 mile to Kamaole II Beach Park, 5 minutes from Wailea golf courses, and convenient to shopping and restaurants. All rooms boast cooking facilities and private entrances, bathrooms, and phones. A family-style breakfast (eggs Benedict, Alaskan waffles, skillet eggs with mushroom sauce, fruit blintzes) is served on the lanai, which has views of white-sand beaches, the West Maui Mountains, and Haleakala. Double rooms start at $89.
- Ekena (tel. 808/248-7047; www.ekenamaui.com): Situated on 8 1/2 acres in the hills above Hana, this Hawaiian-style wooden pole house, with 360-degree views of the coastline, the ocean, and Hana's verdant rainforest, is perfect for those in search of a quiet, peaceful vacation. Inside, the elegantly furnished home features floor-to-ceiling sliding-glass doors and a fully equipped kitchen; outside, hiking trails into the rainforest start right on the property. Beaches, waterfalls, and pools are mere minutes away. Rates start at $225 for two.
- Hamoa Bay House & Bungalow (tel. 808/248-7884): This enchanting retreat sits on 4 verdant acres within walking distance of Hamoa Beach, just outside Hana. The romantic 600-square-foot Balinese-style cottage has a full kitchen and hot tub. This very private place is perfect for honeymooners. The price? Just $225.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.