advertisement

Dating back to 1770 and officially named for the first prime minister of Mauritius, the Pamplemousse, as the locals call it, is one of the oldest botanical gardens in the southern hemisphere. Spread across 33 hectares (82 acres) and hidden behind ornate white gates on the outskirts of capital Port Louis, the garden’s highlights include giant water lily pads, a spice area with cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove, 86 palm varieties, and a medicinal corner. The gardens also have a family of giant tortoise and a stag park.