- Condesadf (Mexico City; www.condesadf.com): The city's trendiest hotel sits in the hip urban neighborhood of Condesa. In an early-20th-century French building, it combines Art Nouveau with contemporary designs and features one of the city's hottest restaurants and rooftop bars.
- Hotel Four Seasons (Mexico City; www.fourseasons.com): The standard of excellence in Mexico, and the most classically luxurious option in Mexico City, this hotel captures serenity and elegance in a palace-style building that surrounds a picturesque courtyard. Bonuses include the gracious staff and unique cultural tours on offer.
- W Mexico City (Mexico City; www.starwood.com/whotels): Stylish and high-tech, this is where the young and cool stay. With its super-caliente red hues and lively bar, the W has infused the country's capital with a dose of minimalist urban chic. Luxury extras include expansive bathrooms with circular tubs.
- Rosewood (San Miguel de Allende; www.rosewoodsanmiguel.com): This new resort hotel offers guests the ideal getaway. Spacious rooms with private terraces, surrounded by lush gardens and courtyards, which in turn are surrounded by the colonial charms of San Miguel. Relax at the spa, stroll the cobblestone streets, sip cocktails on the rooftop terrace, and do it all again the next day.
- Villa Montaña (Morelia; www.villamontana.com.mx): The Villa Montaña defines perfection. From the layout of the grounds to the decoration of the rooms, every detail has been skillfully handled. The hotel perches on a ridge that overlooks Morelia; from its terraces, guests can survey the city below. The restaurant is one of the city's best.
- Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita (north of Puerto Vallarta; www.fourseasons.com): This luxury resort offers an unrivaled location in the exclusive Punta Mita beach community with the stellar service characteristic of the chain. A private beach, lazy river pool, expansive spa, and two Jack Nicklaus Signature golf courses are here.
- Playa Escondida (Sayulita; www.playa-escondida.com): This dreamy yet unpretentious resort sits on a secluded beach. Choose among individually designed beachfront casitas, bungalows in the jungle, or imported teak houses from Thailand constructed in a spectacular bird canyon. You won't want to leave.
- El Tamarindo Beach & Golf Resort (btw. Manzanillo and Puerto Vallarta; www.eltamarindoresort.com): Among the world's most exclusive resorts, this breathtaking hotel has just a small selection of casitas hidden amid tropical landscaping or facing the Pacific, as well as a magnificent oceanfront golf course. It's about 1 hour north of Manzanillo along Costa Alegre.
- Las Alamandas (btw. Manzanillo and Puerto Vallarta; www.alamandas.com): The extraordinary Alamandas sits on its own nature preserve, with four private beaches, exquisite gardens, lakes, lagoons, and a bird sanctuary. The guests are all treated like VIPs, which many of them are.
- La Casa Que Canta (Zihuatanejo; www.lacasaquecanta.com): This is one of Mexico's most romantic spots, an unforgettable boutique hotel above Playa La Ropa. Palapa-style guest rooms have their own furnished outdoor terraces, many with private plunge pools overlooking the sea. The service, amenities, and cuisine will make you feel like you've landed in heaven.
- Amuleto (Zihuatanejo; www.amuleto.net): With a spectacular view of Zihuatanejo Bay that makes it seem like you're on top of the world, this boutique hotel was designed for people seeking seclusion. Housing only six individually designed suites, Amuleto has a beautiful infinity pool, an outstanding open-air restaurant, and exquisite service.
- Ritz-Carlton Cancún (Cancún; www.ritzcarlton.com): Thick carpets, sparkling glass and brass, and rich mahogany surround guests at this hotel, for years the standard-bearer of luxury in Cancún. The service is impeccable, leaving guests with an overall sense of pampered relaxation. Its restaurants are among the best in the city, and an outstanding culinary center is open to guests and outside visitors.
- JW Marriott (Cancún; www.jwmarriottcancun.com): This gorgeous resort affords elegance without pretense, combining classic and Caribbean styling with warm Mexican service. The inviting free-form infinity pool extends to the white-sand beach, and families feel just as comfortable here as romance-seeking couples. The hotel includes a spectacular 3,250-sq.-m (35,000-sq.-ft.) spa.
- Presidente InterContinental Cozumel (Cozumel; www.intercontinentalcozumel.com): Surrounded by shady palms, this resort also has the best beach on the island, right in front of Paraíso Reef. Favorite rooms are the deluxe beachside units with spacious patios and direct access to the beach -- you can even order romantic in-room dining on the patios, complete with a trio to serenade you. Excellent scuba diving is accessible right in front.
- Hacienda Xcanatún (outskirts of Mérida; www.xcanatun.com): With its large, extravagantly designed suites, acres of tropical gardens, a private spa, excellent restaurant, and ample staff, this hotel masters the difficult trick of being compact in size but expansive in offerings.
- Hacienda Puerta Campeche (Campeche; www.luxurycollection.com): Not a hacienda at all, but a gorgeous hotel created from several adjoining colonial houses, this is a large property for only 15 rooms. An open area in back features a pool and tropical gardens under ancient crumbling walls. The hotel is beautiful -- both in overall layout and design details -- and the service is impeccable.
- Las Ventanas al Paraíso (Los Cabos; www.lasventanas.com): Stunning in its relaxed elegance, Las Ventanas has a deluxe European spa, excellent gourmet restaurant, and elegantly appointed rooms and suites. From fireplaces and telescopes to private pools and rooftop terraces, each suite offers a slice of heaven.
- Esperanza (Los Cabos; www.esperanzaresort.com): This Auberge resort pampers guests in a desert-chic setting, on a bluff overlooking twin coves. Spacious rooms are enhanced by ample terraces, and the resort's spa and dining services make a stay here even more memorable.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.