advertisement

Dating from 1450, this remarkably lovely church in Brabantine Gothic style stands just below the Belfry. Inside its vast vaulted space is crammed with 16th-century sculptures and wooden wall carvings by Mons artist Jacques Du Brœucq (1505–84), while around the choir 16th-century stained-glass windows depict biblical scenes and banners hang in the slender Gothic window recesses. The church’s treasury contains richly ornamented religious objects in gold—chalices, monstrances, and reliquaries—many of them dedicated in honor of St. Waltrude, along with sculptures, paintings, and vestments. At the entrance to the church, the ceremonial Car d’Or (Golden Coach) anticipates its annual spring outing, when it is paraded around town in a religious festival called Ducasse de Mons on Trinity Sunday.