Bonsecours Market is an imposing neoclassical building with a long facade, a colonnaded portico, and a silvery dome that can be seen from many parts of Vieux Montréal. It was built in the mid-1800s—the Doric columns of the portico were cast of iron in England—and first used as the Parliament of United Canada, and then as Montréal’s City Hall until 1878. The architecture alone makes a brief visit worthwhile. For many years after 1878, it served as the city’s central meat market. Essentially abandoned for much of the 20th century, it was restored in 1964 to house city government offices. Today it anchors the eastern end of rue St-Paul and contains restaurants, art galleries, and boutiques featuring Québécois products. The building also offers public restrooms.
- Leslie Brokaw, Erin Trahan, Matthew Barber