advertisement

Located smack dab in the center of Vieux-Montréal, this 1723 building was formerly the Auberge Les Passants du Sans Soucy, a long-time Frommer’s favorite. New owners took over in 2014, and the building has undergone significant renovations for a sleek, modern feel. Gone are the lace curtains and floral bedspreads. Its 9 rooms now have LED lights, new bathrooms with glass shelves and “rainhead” showers, Tempur-Pedic mattresses, and a modern color scheme consisting of chocolate brown, white, and charcoal. The lobby was expanded to make room for a café, and the back of the ground floor is now a 30-seat restaurant serving Mediterranean cuisine. Despite the modern upgrades, a concerted effort has been made to retain the building’s original charm. This includes many rooms with ceiling beams that still bear the original carpenters marks, and more exposure of the mortar and stone walls. As of press time, the upper floors—formerly the private residence of the previous owner—were being renovated into a luxurious 2-bedroom penthouse.