Named for the Theatines, a group of Roman Catholic clergy, this church is Munich’s finest example of Italian baroque architecture. The church was begun by Italian architects in 1663 and was completed by German court architects about a century later. Fluted columns lining the center aisle support the arched ceiling of the nave. Every surface appears to be loaded with dollops of fanciful white stuccowork. The dome above the transept is decorated with an ornate gallery of large statues. Dark wooden pews and a canopied pulpit provide the only color in the all-white interior.
Our Rating Hours Mon–Fri 10am–1pm and 1:30–4:30pm; Sat 10am–3pm Phone 089/2106960 Other Free admission. U-Bahn: Odeonsplatz