- Starnberger See: This beautiful lake is where many a Münchner goes for a holiday. It's only 27km (17 miles) to the southwest of Munich. Centering around the town of Berg, the unofficial capital of the lake region, Sternbergersee enjoys a 6.4km (4-mile) scenic coastline studded with historic castles, including one where Ludwig II was imprisoned after he was certified as insane.
- Tegernsee: A lake and a resort town on the eastern shore of its water share the same name. Long known as one of the most beautiful lakes of Bavaria, Tegernsee lies just 48km (30 miles) southeast of Munich. It is surrounded by mountain peaks, one reaching a height of 1,890m (6,200 ft.). The ritziest resort town along the lake is Rottach-Egern, where you find the best hotels and cuisine.
- Ammersee: Many Münchners have summer homes at this lake region 39km (24 miles) southwest of Munich. One of the best places for food and lodging along the lake is the large village of Herrsching, a venue for summer concerts and known as a retreat for artists. A short ferry ride takes you to Diessen, the lake's most idyllic fishing village. Summer steamship cruises traverse the lake, and you can also rent various boats.
- Berchtesgaden: Although its reputation is somewhat tainted by its association as a retreat for Hitler, Berchtesgaden is one of the most idyllic Alpine towns in the Bavarian Alps. It is celebrated for its beautiful scenery on the Ache River at the foot of the Watzmann, the second-highest peak in Germany. It's a center for exploring the splendid lake of Königssee with its crystal-clear waters in a fiordlike setting.
- Mittenwald: On a former trade route at the foot of the Karwendel mountain range, this town, one of the most colorful and beautiful in Bavaria, is especially popular for its winter sports. The town is also known for its violin-making trade, a tradition dating back to 1684.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.