Located along the northern border of Jirisan National Park, this temple (sometimes spelled Silsangsa) faces Cheonwangbong, the mountain's highest peak. Originally built in 828 during the Shilla Dynasty, it is the first of the Gusan Seonmun (the nine Zen Buddhist temples that started "Seon," the Korean Zen sect). Japanese invaders burned down the complex in 1592, and it was completely burned down during King Gojeong's reign. It was rebuilt in 1884 on a smaller scale from its former self. Its iron Buddha from the late 9th century is one of the earliest examples of its kind.