What You Can Bring into the U.S. --
Visit the U.S. Customs website for information on what you can bring into or take home from the U.S. Guidelines frequently change and vary from country to country:

For information on what you’re allowed to bring home, contact:

Canadian Citizens: Canada Border Services Agency (tel. 800/461-9999 in Canada, or 204/983-3500).

European Union: EU.

U.K. Citizens: GOV.UK (tel. 0300 200 3319; +44 135 535 9022 from outside the U.K).

Australian Citizens: Customs and Border Protection (tel. 1300/363-263).

New Zealand Citizens: New Zealand Customs Service (tel. 04/473-6099 or 0800/428-786).

Embassies & Consulates -- All embassies are located in the nation’s capital, Washington, D.C. Some consulates are located in major U.S. cities, and most nations have a mission to the United Nations in New York City. If your country isn’t listed below, call for directory information in Washington, D.C. (tel. 202/555-1212) or check

The embassy of Australia is at 1601 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. 20036 (tel. 202/797-3000).

The embassy of Canada is at 501 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. 20001 (tel. 202/682-1740). Other Canadian consulates are in Buffalo (New York), Detroit, Los Angeles, New York City, and Seattle.

The embassy of Ireland is at 2234 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. 20008 (tel. 202/462-3939). Irish consulates are in Boston, Chicago, New York City, San Francisco, and other cities.

The embassy of New Zealand is at 37 Observatory Circle NW, Washington, D.C. 20008 (tel. 202/328-4800). New Zealand consulates are in Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Seattle.

The embassy of the United Kingdom is at 3100 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. 20008 (tel. 202/588-7800). Other British consulates are in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle.

Passports -- Every traveler entering the U.S. is required to show a passport. All persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport. Note: U.S. and Canadian citizens entering the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere must now also present a passport or other documents compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Children 15 and under may continue entering with only a U.S. birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship.

Visas -- The U.S. State Department’s Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of dozens of countries to enter the United States without a visa for stays of up to 90 days. Citizens of all other countries must have (1) a valid passport that expires at least 6 months later than the scheduled end of their visit to the U.S.; and (2) a tourist visa. For information about U.S. Visas go to and click on “U.S. Visas.”


Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.