- Nativo Lodge (6000 Pan American Fwy. NE, Albuquerque; tel. 888/628-4861 or 505/798-4300; www.nativolodge.com.): Utilizing a Native American theme, this hotel on the north end of town offers standard size rooms with a bit of designer flair and plenty of amenities, all at a reasonable price.
- El Rey Inn (1862 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe; tel. 800/521-1349 or 505/982-1931; www.elreyinnsantafe.com): If old-style court motels awaken the road warrior in you, this is your place. Built in the 1930s and added onto over the years, this place provides a variety of types of rooms, all nicely appointed.
- Santa Fe Motel and Inn (510 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe; tel. 800/930-5002 or 505/982-1039; www.santafemotel.com): Rooms at this inn are walking distance from the Plaza and provide ambience of the Southwest -- bold colors and some handmade furniture -- with a standard motel price tag.
- Old Taos Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast (1028 Witt Rd., Taos; tel. 800/758-5448 or 575/758-5448; www.oldtaos.com): Set in a 190-year-old adobe dwelling, this inn offers acres of quiet within minutes of downtown Taos. Rooms range from atmospheric to very practical, all with comfortable beds. A family-run business, its owners take good care of their guests.
- Step Back Inn (103 W. Aztec Blvd., Aztec; tel. 800/334-1255 or 505/334-1200): In a modern building, this hotel presents a good dose of Victorian charm. Rooms are spacious and quiet, with unique touches such as colorful wallpaper and antique armoire reproductions. Each is named after an early pioneer of the area.
- Inn on the Santa Fe Trail (1133 Grand Ave., Las Vegas; tel. 888/448-8438 or 505/425-6791; www.innonthesantafetrail.com): This 1920s court motel set around a grassy courtyard has been restored to provide comfortable Southwestern style rooms with nice accents such as hand-crafted furniture and light fixtures.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.