advertisement

This “raised cottage,” with its Doric columns and handsome twin staircases, was built as a residence by a wealthy New Orleans auctioneer, Joseph LeCarpentier, in 1826. Confederate General P. G. T. Beauregard (of the recently deposed Confederate monument) lived here between 1865 and 1867. From 1944 until 1970 it was the residence of Frances Parkinson Keyes (pronounced Kize), who wrote many novels about the region. Her most famous, Dinner at Antoine’s, was written here, as was Madame Castel’s Lodger, concerning General Beauregard’s stay in this house. Mrs. Keyes left her home to a foundation. The house, gardens, and her collections of dolls and porcelain veilleuse teapots are open to the public.