advertisement

Set along pretty Bayou St. John, the Pitot House is a typical West Indies–style plantation home, restored and furnished with early-19th-century Louisiana and American antiques. Dating from 1799, it originally stood where the nearby modern Catholic school now stands. In 1810 it became the home of James Pitot, the first mayor of incorporated New Orleans (he served 1804–05). Tours, given by knowledgeable docents or architecture students, are surprisingly interesting and informative.