Although severely damaged when the British shelled Norfolk on January 1, 1776, this lovely brick Anglican church survived and is the only pre-Revolution building left in downtown. A cannonball from one of Lord Dunmore's ships remains lodged in the southwest wall. The main chapel was constructed in 1739 to serve a parish that had been in existence since about 1636. The tower was added in 1902, and the interior was restored to its Colonial Revival form in 1913. This is a serene respite in the middle of bustling downtown, so take a moment to reflect inside the church, and then examine the ancient tombstones in the shady churchyard, Norfolk's first burial ground. Graves date to the 1600s, although the earliest original stone is from 1748; three others dating from 1673, 1687, and 1681 were brought here.