Products of Hawaii now merit their own festivals and trade shows throughout the year, and MADE IN HAWAII is a label to be touted. Here are a few places to score some finds.
- Museum Shop: The store at the Honolulu Museum of Art has a stunning selection of art books, stationery, jewelry, basketry, beadwork, ikats, saris, ethnic fabrics, fiber vessels, accessories, and contemporary gift items representing the art and craft traditions of the world.
- Avanti Fashion: Avanti aloha shirts and sportswear elevate tropical garb from high kitsch to high chic. Casual, comfortable, easily cared for, and light as a cloud, the authentic prints from the 1930s and '40s reproduced on silk look vintage but cost a fraction of collectibles' prices. The nostalgic treasures are available in retail stores statewide, but the best selection is in Waikiki.
- Bailey's Antiques & Aloha Shirts: Bailey's has one of the largest vintage aloha-shirt collections in Honolulu, with prices ranging from inexpensive to sky-high. Old Levi's jeans, mandarin jackets, vintage vases, household items, shawls, purses, and an eye-popping assortment of bark-cloth fabrics (the real thing, not repros) are among the mementos in this monumental collection.
- Honolulu Chocolate Co.: Life's greatest pleasures are dispensed here with abandon: expensive gourmet chocolates made in Honolulu, Italian and Hawaiian biscotti, boulder-size chocolate "turtles," truffles, chocolate-covered coffee beans, and jumbo apricots in white and dark chocolate, to name a few.
- Native Books: Hawaii is the content and context in this shop of books, crafts, and gift items made by island artists and crafters. The musical instruments, calabashes, jewelry, leis, books, fabrics, clothing, home accessories, jams and jellies are all high quality and made in-state — a celebration of Hawaiiana.
- Silver Moon Emporium: Owner Lucie Talbot-Holu has a gift for discovering fashion treasures. Exquisite clothing and handbags, reasonably priced footwear, hats, jewelry, scarves, and a full gamut of other treasures pepper this attractive boutique.