This list runs from north to south along the coast.
* Cannery Pier Hotel (Astoria; www.cannerypierhotel.com; tel. 888/325-4996): This luxurious hotel, built on the site of a former salmon cannery on the Columbia River, is a sign of Astoria’s urban renewal. With big, glass-walled rooms directly on the river and a host of upscale amenities, Cannery Pier is the best catch in Astoria.
* The Ocean Lodge (Cannon Beach; www.cannonbeachhotel.com; tel. 800/238-4107): The views are panoramic and the rooms are cozy and designed for contemporary comfort at this mid-sized inn. Step out on your balcony for a breath of fresh sea air, or step outside and you’ll be right on one of the most famous beaches in Oregon.
* Stephanie Inn (Cannon Beach; www.stephanie-inn.com; tel. 800/633-3466): The most traditional and upscale hotel in artsy, affluent Cannon Beach enjoys a beachfront setting, a fine-dining restaurant, and luxurious rooms with private balconies and oceanfront views. The Stephanie is a romantic, pampering retreat.
* Channel House (Depoe Bay; www.channelhouse.com; tel. 800/447-2140): The in-your-face views from the rooms in this small inn—situated on a cliff directly above the ocean and to one side of the narrow channel into tiny Depoe Bay—are probably the most dramatic on the entire coast. You can soak in your outdoor hot tub and enjoy the spectacle.
* Sylvia Beach Hotel (Newport; www.sylviabeachhotel.com; tel. 888/795-8422): One of the coast’s earliest resort hotels, going way back to the early 1900s, this literary-minded hotel has a unique charm and character. Each room is dedicated to a writer with appropriate accoutrements, and there is a marvelous library upstairs. No phones or TVs, but you do get Wi-Fi.
* Heceta Head Lighthouse (near Yachats; www.hecetalighthouse.com; tel. 866/547-3696): A former lighthouse keeper’s home, with the Heceta Head Lighthouse just down the path, this Victorian-era B&B is set high on a cliff with a truly spectacular outlook. You get breakfast, and maybe you’ll even meet the ghost.
* Overleaf Lodge (Yachats; www.overleaflodge.com; tel. 800/338-0507): This friendly resort hotel offers some pretty amazing views to go along with the comforts of its freshly refurbed oceanfront rooms. The coastal path right outside lets you enjoy a wonderful walk along a scenic section of the coast.
* Tu Tu’ Tun Lodge (Gold Beach; www.tututun.com; tel. 800/864-6357 or 541/247-6664): A secluded setting on the lower Rogue River guarantees tranquility at this gorgeous-inside-and-out lodge. All the materials are real, and so are the people who greet you. It’s the best around, and only 15 minutes from Gold Beach.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.