In the Old Quarter, the major attraction is the Basílica de Santa María la Mayor, Calle del Arzobispo Malvar (tel. 98-686-61-85), with its avocado-green patina, dating from the 16th century. Its most remarkable feature is its west front, carved to resemble an altarpiece, with a depiction of the Crucifixion at the top. The church is open daily 10am to 1pm and 5 to 9pm.
The Museo de Pontevedra, Pasantería 10 (tel. 98-685-14-55; fax 98-684-006-93; www.museo.depontevedra.es), with a hodgepodge of everything from the Pontevedra attic, contains displays ranging from prehistoric artifacts to a still life by Zurbarán. Many of the exhibits are maritime oriented, and there is a valuable collection of jewelry. The museum is open Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 2pm and 4 to 7pm, Sunday 11am to 2pm. Free admission. The museum opens onto a major square in the Old Town, Plaza de Leña (Square of Wood).
Iglesia de San Francisco, Plaza de la Herrería, is another church of note. Its Gothic facade opens onto gardens. It was founded in the 14th century and contains a sculpture of Don Payo Gómez Charino, noted for his part in the 1248 Reconquest of Seville, when it was wrested from Muslim domination.
Directly south, the gardens lead to the 18th-century Capilla de la Peregrina, Plaza Peregrina, with a narrow half-moon facade connected to a rotunda and crowned by a pair of towers. It was constructed by followers of the cult of the Pilgrim Virgin, which was launched in Galicia sometime in the 17th century.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.