Located in the north of the Old Town, the sprawling park started life as a Prussian fortress in 1828. Badly damaged in 1945, it now serves locals as a site for recreational and cultural pastimes. Visitors also come to reflect on the past at the numerous graveyards in the park's southern section, including the Commonwealth Cemetery for Allied Soldiers perished in World War II. The park is dotted with monuments: from a towering Socialist-Realism column in honor of the Red Army to a more recently installed and still controversial "The Unrecognized," a cluster of over 100 headless, larger-than-life cast-iron bodies. The park is also the site of the Museum of Weapons and the Museum of the Poznan Army.