Designed by the Danish architect Johannes Magdahl Nielse, the Culture House opened in 1909 to house the National Library and the National Archives of Iceland. Several other institutions occupied the space over the next century, and in 2013 it merged with the National Museum. A renovation completed in 2013 added a cafe and a museum shop, as well as a series of temporary exhibitions that reflect Iceland’s visual art history and cultural heritage.