According to local legend, the Trsat Shrine was founded in 1291, when angels carrying the Holy House (where the Archangel Gabriel visited the Virgin Mary) from Nazareth dropped it here. Franciscan monks built a church on the site, and since then both the church and the adjoining 17th-century Franciscan monastery have been places of pilgrimage. The main attraction is the Chapel of Votive Gifts, filled with valuable tokens, including gold, silver, and jewels, donated by the faithful as a way of giving thanks.