Virtually located behind the Pantheon, Santa Maria sopra Minerva is Rome’s most significant Dominican church, and the only Gothic church in the center of town. True, the facade is in the Renaissance style (the church was begun in 1280 but worked on until 1725), but inside, the arched vaulting is pure Gothic. The main art treasures here are the “Statua del Redentore” (1521), a statue of Christ by Michelangelo (just to the left of the altar) and wonderful fresco cycle in the Cappella Carafa (on the right before the altar), created by Filippino Lippi between 1488 and 1493 to honor St. Thomas Aquinas. Devout Catholics flock to the venerated tomb of Saint Catherine of Siena under the high altar—the room where she died in 1380 was reconstructed behind the Sacristy by Antonio Barberini in 1637 (far-left corner of the church). Fra’ Angelico also rests here, in the Cappella Frangipane e Maddaleni-Capiferro (to the left of the altar).