This palace and its gardens were originally built as a luxurious private residence called Altenau. Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich had it constructed in 1606 for his mistress and the mother of his children, Salome Alt. Unfortunately, not much remains of the original grand structure. Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt rebuilt the Schloss in the first quarter of the 18th century, and it was modified after a great fire in 1818. The official residence of the mayor of Salzburg is now in the palace, which is like a smaller rendition of the Tuileries in Paris. The ceremonial marble Barockstiege-Englesstiege (angel staircase), with sculptured cherubs, carved by Raphael Donner in 1726, leads to the Marmorsaal, a marble-and-gold hall used for private concerts and weddings.