Established in 1867 as a means of pioneer defense, Fort Concho provided the impetus for San Angelo's original development. Originally 40 buildings on 1,000 acres, this U.S. Army post, once commanded by William "Pecos Bill" Shafter, was active until 1889, with black Buffalo Soldiers making up a considerable portion of the men stationed here. The post is now one of the jewels of the old Texas forts, with 17 original buildings and 5 rebuilt structures. Some of the buildings are fully furnished with period artifacts, including a barracks outfitted to an 1870s T, down to the last checker on the board. There are exhibits in two of the restored officers' quarters (one is a small museum on telephony, featuring one of Alexander Graham Bell's originals) and the old post headquarters. The former hospital now serves as the interesting Robert Wood Johnson Museum of Frontier Medicine, including a re-created ward, some interesting snake oil cure-alls, and the Victorian prototype for the TV-shopping mainstay of electrostimulation. Expect to spend a little more than an hour here.