- Best Splurge: Visitors in the know eschew River Walk lodgings for the Hotel Emma, a converted brewery in the happening Pearl complex. Wonderful architectural detail, a great location near some of the best restaurants in town, and excellent service all add to the experience. Sportscaster Charles Barkley—not known for being a San Antonio fan—professed his love of this hotel on ESPN. You’re likely to encounter other A-listers in the lobby, too.
- Best-Kept Lodging Secret: Not until you get past the shabby red-carpeted steps out front and ascend to the second floor of a narrow building in the heart of downtown do you see the treasure that is the Riverwalk Vista. It’s independently owned, reasonably priced, and centrally located, and its rooms are spacious and beautifully furnished.
- The Best Place to See (or Feel) a Ghost: San Antonio’s got plenty of historic hotels—the kind where haunts tend to linger—but only the Menger claims to have 32 ghosts. You can take your pick of the spirits you want to sleep with—or drink with. The bar where Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders is in this hotel, too.
- Best for People Traveling with Pets: You might not expect the swanky St. Anthony to be amenable to the four-legged, but its no-fee, no-size restriction policy (with the usual waivers, of course) plus proximity to Travis Park make this a prime spot to bunk with a furry companion or two.
- Best Downtown Bargain: Low room rates, lots of freebies, attractive rooms in a converted historic building, and a convenient location near downtown all make the Best Western Sunset Suites a super deal.
- Best One-Stop Bunk: You never have to wander far from the Marriott Rivercenter, with its excellent health club (on the same floor as the hotel’s free washers and dryers), its proximity to the Shops at Rivercenter and the River Walk, and its abundant on-site eateries.
- Best Resort: Whether you’re visiting San Antonio with family, looking to play great golf, or seeking a spa getaway with friends, La Cantera has your number. The facilities are top-notch, the grounds are spectacular, the dining is outstanding (one of the best chefs in town presides over Signature), and you’ll be near the posh Shops at La Cantera.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.