- Best Service: The Ritz-Carlton is the sine qua non of luxury hotels, offering near-perfect service and every possible amenity. Even if you can’t afford a room, come for the mind-blowing Sunday brunch—and get the royal treatment.
- Best Beat Generation Hotel: The Hotel Bohème is the perfect mixture of art, funky style, and location—just steps from the sidewalk cafes and shops of North Beach. If Jack Kerouac were alive today, this is where he’d stay—an easy stagger home from his favorite bar and bookstore.
- Best Old Luxury: Hands down, the Palace Hotel. Built in 1875, and quickly rebuilt after the 1906 earthquake, the regal lobby and stunning Garden Court atrium—complete with Italian marble columns, and elegant chandeliers—will take you back 100 years to far more simple times.
- Best Hotel in the Woods: Surrounded by trees in a national park just south of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Inn at the Presidio is the perfect place for nature lovers. With a golf course close by, hiking trails out the back door, and a fire pit on the back patio, you may never make it to Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Best for Families: The Argonaut Hotel is set in the heart of Fisherman’s Wharf, with sea lions, ice cream sundaes at Ghirardelli’s, the beach at Aquatic Park, and the Musee Mechanique, all only a few minutes away. With its cool nautical theme throughout, and a toy-filled treasure box in the lobby that kids can dig into, your tykes may never want to leave.
- Coolest Doormen: Nothing can possibly compete with the Sir Frances Drake Hotel in this category. The jovial doormen greet guests wearing their signature red Beefeater costumes—complete with frilly white collar, top hat, and tights. The most famous doorman in the city, Tom Sweeney, has been blowing his whistle and handling bags at the Sir Francis Drake for over 35 years. Heavy bags are nothing for him; he used to play football with Joe Montana and Dwight Clark.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.