advertisement

Standing across from the Plaza de Colón, this is one of the oldest theaters in the Western Hemisphere, built about 1832. In 1976, a restoration returned the theater to its original appearance. Much of Puerto Rican theater history is connected with the Tapía, named after the island’s first prominent playwright, Alejandro Tapía y Rivera (1826–82). Various productions—some musical—are staged here throughout the year, representing a repertoire of drama, dance, and cultural events.