In 1832 the congregation of First African Baptist Church, split over a doctrinal dispute. One group moved to Franklin Square but retained the original name, while another remained on the site of Andrew Bryan’s original wooden chapel, eventually becoming known as First Bryan Baptist Church. Though the current Greek Revival structure was built between 1873 and 1888, the site is extremely significant in African-American history, being the oldest parcel of real estate in America to be owned by blacks. Bryan himself was able to purchase his freedom for 50 pounds sterling, and lived until 1812.
- Frommer's Staff