This impressive house was built on Madison Square between 1853 and 1861 for wealthy, English-born cotton merchant Charles Green, but its moment in history arrived when it became the Savannah headquarters of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman at the end of his devastating rampage across Georgia in 1864, euphemistically known as the “March to the Sea.” It was from here that the general sent his now infamous (at least, in Savannah) Christmas telegram to President Lincoln, offering him the city as a Christmas gift. Ex-city mayor and judge Peter Meldrim purchased the house in 1892, explaining the current name. Since 1943 it’s served as the Parish House for St. John’s Episcopal Church next door, but open to the public as one of the best examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the South. Though little remains of its original furnishings, rooms have been restored in a period style, and some fixtures have survived: the American black walnut wood floors, stucco crown moldings, Carrara marble mantles, and large mirrors in gold leaf frames purchased from Austria.
- Frommer's Staff