About 2 1/2 miles east of the center of Savannah via the Islands Expressway is Georgia’s oldest standing fort, with a 9-foot-deep tidal moat around its brick walls. In 1778, a mud battery was built here to try and stop the British from occupying Savannah during the Revolutionary War, but it was soon abandoned (and the British duly seized the city). The original brick fort was begun in 1808 and named for James Jackson, Revolutionary War veteran, and state governor. The fort was manned during the War of 1812, though it saw no action. It was enlarged and strengthened between 1845 and 1860 and saw its greatest use as headquarters for the Confederate river defenses during the Civil War—it was finally occupied by Sherman’s troops in December 1864. Its arched rooms, designed to support the weight of heavy cannons mounted above, now contain 13 exhibit areas.
- Frommer's Staff