- Capofaro Resort (Salina; tel. 090-9844330; www.capofaro.it): This stylish resort on the island of Salina gives new meaning to Mediterranean living -- stylish rooms and amenities on a property surrounded by grape vines with the most spectacular views over the Aeolians.
- Grand Hotel Mazzarò Sea Palace (Mazzarò; tel. 0942-612111; www.mazzaroseapalace.it): The elegant, genuinely charming hotel opens onto the most beautiful bay in Sicily and has its own private beach. Big windows in the rooms let in cascades of light and offer views of the coast.
- Grand Hotel Ortigia (Siracusa; tel. 0931-464600; www.grandhotelsr.it): A very appealing mix of modernity and old-world charm. It's set directly on the waterfront in a stately four-story building that contains lots of inlaid marble and polished Belle Epoque hardwoods.
- Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa (Palermo; tel. 091-320075; www.piazzaborsa.it): This brand-new hotel in the Kalsa was once the stock exchange of Palermo. The Belle Epoque décor has been preserved throughout. Some rooms overlook the beautiful Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi.
- Kempinski Hotel Giardino di Costanza (Mazara Del Vallo; (tel. 0923-675000; www.kempinski.com): The only Kempinski property in Italy is in the heart of wine-and-olive country in a state-of-the-art, refurbished villa just outside the town of Mazara del Vallo.
- NH Liberty (Messina; tel. 090-6409436; www.nh-hotels.it): One of the finest hotels in Sicily. Throughout, you'll find rich paneling, marble-inlaid floors, ornate plasterwork, and lavish stained-glass windows.
- Principe di Villafranca (Palermo; tel. 091-6118523; www.principedivillafranca.it): The finest boutique-style hotel in Palermo. Stylish, and intimate, its Sicilian theme includes enough antiques and architectural finesse to make you think the place is a lot older.
- San Domenico Palace (Taormina; tel. 0942-613111): A former convent, San Domenico has attracted elite and literati from all over the world. Not as centrally located as is its historical rival, the Timeo, San Domenico offers a sense of peace and tranquility, as well as mouth-watering views that make a stay here worth it.
- Villa del Bosco (Catania; tel. 095-7335100; www.hotelvilladelbosco.it): Guests enjoy a true taste of the aristocratic life of landowning Sicilian family during the early 19th century. The dignified boutique hotel is rich with antiques.
- Villa Iglea Grand Hotel (Palermo; tel. 091-6312111; www.hilton.com): This is to Palermo what the Ritz is to Paris or Claridge's is to London. Set inside an exquisite Art Nouveau gem on the outskirts of town, it overlooks the sea and hasn't lost any of its luster.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.