This church buried in sand dunes 1.5km (1 mile) south of town is an amusing curiosity. The only part that's visible is the upper two-thirds of the tower. When Hans Christian Andersen visited in 1859, he called the church "The Pompeii of Skagen." The only things hidden under the dunes are the remnants of a wall and the old floor and perhaps the baptismal font. By 1775, the church had fallen into disrepair and was used by fewer and fewer members. By 1795, it was closed down; in 1810, it was partly demolished, the stones sold to people in the area as building materials for their private houses. Today, red stakes in the ground indicate the placing and extent of the nave and vestry.