East of Tabanan is a huge elegant state temple surrounded by a moat. Built in 1634 and renovated in 1937, it was the main temple of the Mengwi kingdom until 1891. It has a flowing fountain and lovingly tended grounds and is sometimes used as a background for Balinese royal feasts. Notice the meru dedicated to the god of fertility or "shrine of Ulun Suwi" on the east side of the main complex. The grounds house a total of 50 shrines and pavilions.