The Best Hotels With Character
- Ibrik Resort (Bangkok; tel. 02254-8500): Tucked away in the arty quarter of Thonburi district near the historic Wat Rakhang, Ibrik's three airy rooms are decorated in a charming and vivid Thai palette. The vibe is intimate and homey, and the river-life views evoke peaceful contemplation. It's both beautiful and boutiquey.
- The Eugenia (Bangkok; tel. 02259-9011-9): This colonial-style boutique hotel is the place for a trip back in time. Period furnishings and ancient tomes in the library lend a sophisticated aura to the place, which is only enhanced by the innovative menu in the restaurant and friendly, professional service.
- Sofitel Centara Grand Resort & Villas (Hua Hin; tel. 800/221-4542 or 03251-2021): This historic hotel's vibrant heritage comes alive through spacious rooms; long, cool corridors; and verdant, lush grounds. High tea in the Museum Tea Corner is a definite highlight.
- The Rachamankha (Chiang Mai; tel. 05390-4111): Quite possibly the most delicious bolt-hole in town, this monastic-style complex is a place where Lanna minimalism meets Thai sophistication. Showcasing the region's Lanna art and culture, the quirky property has wowed everyone with its monastic courtyards, velvet lawns, beautiful decor, and exceptionally well-stocked library.
- Four Seasons Tented Camp (Golden Triangle; tel. 05391-0200): Tents were never like this when I was a kid. They might be made of canvas, but those at the Four Seasons are huge, they are equipped with period furnishings, and they enjoy total privacy on a lush hillside. Such activities as elephant treks and boat trips, as well as gourmet dining and cocktail parties, are all part of the deal at this all-inclusive resort.
- Fern Resort (Mae Hong Son; tel. 05368-0001): You're well off the beaten path at Fern, amid a collection of petite midrange bungalows, but the setting is lovely, and self-guided hikes are made all the more enjoyable by the resort's resident pets.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.