All the villages recommended below are on the postal-bus route from Vaduz. The Vaduz tourist office will provide a map outlining the various routings and transportation connections possible.
This second-smallest parish in the principality (pop. 605) also has the smallest surface area. It was already settled when the New Stone Age began. Some of the Iron Age artifacts displayed in the National Museum in Vaduz were unearthed here. The Herren (nobles) von Schellenberg built two castles here in the Middle Ages. One of the castles, the Obere Burg Schellenberg, has been restored and offers a good view. Schellenberg is a starting point for the Eschnerberg Historical Trail.
These two villages are a mile apart, in a parish covering only 5 sq. km (3 sq. miles). Mauren is one of the most beautiful sights in Liechtenstein. It was called Muron in 1178 and today is known as the "Village of the Seven Hillocks." The remains of Roman baths and a 2nd-century farmhouse or outbuilding have been excavated here. The village is also known for its fine church, dating from 1787. The meadows and woodlands between Mauren and Schaanwald have been designated a bird sanctuary. The preserve contains a conservation pond and a nature trail. The villages are on the Schaan-Feldkirch road leading to Austria.
This small parish along the Rhine has picture-postcard charm. The two hamlets on the west spur of Eschnerberg are rich in archaeological discoveries. Excavations have shown that the area was inhabited continuously from about 2500 B.C. to the Roman era. Discoveries around Gamprin have yielded many clues about the culture of the New Stone Age. The remains of a farm and a small church dating from A.D. 55 have been found on the hill on which the Bendern church stands today. This church belonged to the Convent of Schanis (St. Gallen) from 809 to 1177 and to the Monastery of St. Luzi (Chur) from 1200 to 1816. After the Reformation, the St. Luzi monks built a larger structure, which included the abbot's quarters.
It was at Bendern's Kirchhügel that the men of the lowlands swore loyalty to the prince of Liechtenstein in 1699. It's very scenic and includes a fitness track, a history trail, and a campground. The Mariengrotte (Mary's Grotto) at Bendern is the only shrine of its kind in the country.
Eschen was first mentioned in the Carolingian land registry in 850 under the name Essane, derived from the Celtic word esca, meaning "by the water." The water refers to the Esche, a nearby brook. Flint artifacts from the Middle Stone Age, about 5000 B.C., have been found here, and New Stone Age settlements have been excavated at Malanser and Schneller. The upper part of Eschen, Schönbühl, is one of the country's most attractive residential areas.
The parish includes the village of Nendeln, in which the foundation of a Roman villa and a prehistoric settlement have been discovered. Nendeln lies 5km (3 miles) northeast of Schaan, on Route 16.
Several buildings in the area are worth a visit. The Pfründhaus is a prebend structure, where the clergy lived. Holy Cross Chapel, on the Rofenberg, was formerly a place of public assembly. The restored church at Eschen has the original walls of the old church laid bare. Other churches include St. Sebastian's Chapel and the Rochus Chapel. Liechtenstein's first industrial enterprise was a tile factory founded at Nendeln in 1836. For a century, it was the only industrial plant in the Unterland.
There's a pool in Eschen and a health trail in Nendeln. You can also enjoy the peaceful mountain footpaths of the Eschnerberg trail.