One of Spain’s finest modern sculptors, Macho fled at the outbreak of the Civil War and made his name in Latin America. When the Franco regime began courting expatriate artists, he moved back to Toledo in 1953 to build a home and studio on a dramatic rock outcrop over the Río Tajo, just 150m from the Sinagoga del Tránsito. Following his death in 1966, the beautiful site was donated to the city as a museum. Displays include several of Macho’s smaller bronzes, some bronze reliefs, and many, many drawings and sketches. The city often uses the site for small art conferences. Visit for the serene gardens and fabulous view of the river below the city walls.
- Frommer's Staff