This small synagogue is believed to be the oldest standing European synagogue. It was built in 1203 in the Almohad style with horseshoe arches and intricately carved moldings. The style echoes La Mezquita in Córdoba, the grandest of the Iberian mosques. When it was converted to a Christian church, five naves and much of the decoration were preserved. The Catholic church maintains the building as a museum. Visitors are split on whether the spare decoration makes the synagogue seem barren or more spiritual than the later, far more elaborate Sinagoga del Tránsito a few blocks away.