One block west of the El Greco home and museum stands this once-important house of worship for Toledo's large Jewish population. A 14th-century building, it is noted for its superb stucco Hebrew inscriptions, including psalms inscribed along the top of the walls and a poetic description of the Temple on the east wall. The synagogue is the most important part of the Museo Sefardí (Sephardic Museum), which opened in 1971 and contains art objects as well as tombstones with Hebrew epigraphy, some of which are dated before 1492.