advertisement

This beautiful venue has had a tumultuous history. It got its start as the Pantages Theatre in 1920, and its opulent design (by the famous theater architect Thomas Lamb) was widely admired. However, the theater's fortunes sank in 1929 -- not because of the stock-market crash, but because its owner was embroiled in a legal battle. Eventually, the gorgeous space was carved into six cinemas. It was rescued and dramatically renovated by the Livent production company, which also brought back its original name, and the new 2,250-seat Pantages Theatre was home for many years to Andrew Lloyd Webber's lavish The Phantom of the Opera. But after Livent collapsed, the theater went dark for a long time. Fortunately, its current owners -- who have renamed it the Canon -- have turned over the theater's management and programming to Mirvish Productions, Toronto's leading theater promoters and owners of the Royal Alex and the Princess of Wales Theatre. In recent years, it has hosted such shows as Spamalot and The Harder They Come. 2