This gorgeous neighborhood park was originally part of a military reserve when Toronto was still a small town called York and the British troops were garrisoned at Fort York. Eventually, parcels were sold to retiring officers, but in 1851, Bishop John Strachan bought up some of the land in order to found a college. Strachan was furious at the University of Toronto’s decision to become a secular school, and he founded the Anglican Trinity College in 1852 (of course, Trinity is now part of the university, though it has kept its Anglican traditions). The buildings were torn down, but the impressive stone-and-wrought-iron gates that face Queen Street West still remain, and Victorian lampposts illuminate the main paths at night. Given the colorful neighborhood it’s located in (West Queen West), it’s no surprise that Trinity Bellwoods has hosted some interesting events, including an anarchist book fair and the odd drum circle. It’s a family park, good for picnics and people-watching. Be on the lookout for the legendary albino squirrels who reside here—a coffee shop across the street is named in their honor.
Trinity Bellwoods Park
Our Rating Neighborhood Between Dundas Street West, Crawford Street, Queen Street West, and Gore Vale Avenue Hours Daily dawn–dusk Transportation Subway: Osgoode, then a streetcar W to Bellwoods Ave Phone 416/338-4386 Prices Free admission
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.