Built in 1891 as the offices for Dingman’s soap factory, this handsome Richardson Romanesque building has taken on many permutations over its centuries-spanning history. It spent the last few decades hidden under sun-bleached ads for the strip club that occupied the space. After a 3-year gut job preserved the historic exteriors and completely modernized the interiors, the ex-flophouse is unrecognizable. Inside are cheeky nods toward the building’s past: pinup-girl wallpaper in the washrooms, art installations made from the building’s old fire escapes, and the old neon No Vacancy sign that illuminates the rooftop terrace. The guest rooms are done up with bespoke furniture that draws inspiration from a mishmash of 20th-century styles. Atop the minibars, which are stuffed with local craft beers and artisanal snacks, sits a turntable with a dozen albums, ranging from Miles Davis to Caribou. The glass-pyramid addition, which created a seventh floor atop the building, offers one of Toronto’s best sunset views, looking west onto the silhouetted skyline. Locally crafted, natural bath products by Graydon Skincare make bath time glorious.