advertisement

This beautiful venue has had a tumultuous history. It got its start as the Pantages Theatre in 1920, and its opulent design (by the famous theater architect Thomas Lamb) was widely admired. But the theater’s fortunes sank in 1929—not because of the stock-market crash, but because its owner was embroiled in a legal battle. Eventually, the gorgeous space was carved into six cinemas. It was rescued and dramatically renovated by the Livent production company, which then collapsed, and so the theater went dark for a long time. Eventually, Mirvish Productions, Toronto’s leading theater promoters and owners of the Royal Alex and the Princess of Wales Theatre, bought the theater and renamed it after the company’s founder, Ed Mivish. In recent years, it has hosted such shows as Mamma Mia! and Bat Out of Hell.